David's Reformed Church Congregation

David's Reformed Church Congregation
Congregation of David's Reformed Church, Montgomery Co, Ohio, Circa, 1900

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - John, Margaret and Flossie Routsong

The picture I chose for today's "Tombstone Tuesday" prompt is that of the final resting place for John Routsong, his wife, Margaret, and their daughter, Flossie in Zion Cemetery, Kettering, Ohio. John Routsong, my great great uncle, was the brother of my great grandmother, Elizabeth Routsong Norris. I had heard the family lore that one of her brothers had been "buried" alive, but I knew few specifics until I found the above newspaper article. It was in a box filled with various cards and clippings that my mother received after my grandmother passed away. I don't know what newspaper contained the article, but it is dated March 15, 1884. Handwritten is 13, 1884, so I assumed that that was the date the incident itself happened. The article is not complete, but there is enough there to know how John died. He and several other men were excavating a trench on the "Old Johnson Farm" on the Lebanon Pike in Van Buren Township which would now be on Far Hills Ave. in the Kettering/Centerville Ohio area. When they had made the trench 20 feet deep, it collapsed, killing John and his friend John Marshall.
John Routsong only 27 years old. Margaret never remarried and she lived until 1925. Their daughter, Flossie, never married, and was buried alongside her parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment