David's Reformed Church Congregation

David's Reformed Church Congregation
Congregation of David's Reformed Church, Montgomery Co, Ohio, Circa, 1900

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Surname Saturday - Hsieh - The New Name in Our Family Tree

At this time, exactly one week ago today, I was standing in the church dressing room, watching the woman who would soon become my new daughter as she prepared for her wedding.   She and my son met at college a few years ago when she and her sister arrived in the United States as international students.  My son noticed her beauty immediately and during a study group, finally got up the nerve to ask her out on a date.  Amazingly, these two people, who grew up on opposite sides of the globe, are kindred spirits.  This day had been planned for many months, through much trial and tribulation so the wedding day of Daniel and Erin was one filled with joy.

As a lover of family history, I couldn't help but relish the thought that we were now adding a new branch to our tree.  Our German, Irish, English, and Scottish bloodlines were now going to be blended with those of Erin's Taiwanese and Chinese ancestors.  It has been quite a challenge for us on both sides of this new alliance as we have struggled to understand each other.  Simply trying to decide how to spell the English version of the names of family members became quite a confusing chore. However, being at the airport for the arrival of her mother and meeting aunts, uncles, and cousins was a delight.  As we stood on the altar at the church for a combined family photograph, I couldn't help but feel emotional at that thought of these two families, whose life experiences are so completely different, being tied together with the marriage of Daniel and Erin. 

One of my first objectives this week was to add Erin to my FamilyTreeMaker program.  Her Taiwanese name is Hsing-Ling, which is what appears on her birth certificate.  Her mother, as is typical for many Taiwanese brides, kept her maiden name after her marriage.  Thankfully, Erin wrote the names of her parents for me in English so I would know the correct spelling and order.  Not as easy has been determining the names of her grandparents, however,  I have discovered through  conversations with my new daughter  that the story of her grandparents' is quite dramatic and includes an escape from China.  My son is determined to get these stories down on paper when they visit Taiwan soon.  How exciting it is to think about this new chapter in my family history book. 

So, this week, now that the wedding is finished, I hope to begin my family research with fresh eyes and a new perspective and I am eagerly anticipating sharing the story of our family with my grandchildren! 

8 comments:

  1. Lori...what an awesome story. Congrats on gaining a daughter and to your son on his marriage. My sister-in-law was from Taiwan. My brother met her when he was stationed in Thailand during the VN war. They are both gone now...your story brings back many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful, happy family! Congratulations to the lovely couple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post! Congratulations on your new daughter-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful and 'wonder filled' chapter in your life. Thank you for sharing this moment with those of us who have gotten to know you through your writing. Blessings to you - I'm honored to be called a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on this wonderful occasion! May your son and daughter-in-law create a wonderful family history together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exciting time! Best wishes to the Erin and congratulations to Daniel. It's wonderful that so many of her family members were able to come to America to celebrate with her and your son and the rest of your family. Beautiful photographs! Everyone looks so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! How exciting - Everyone looks so happy in the wedding picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are quite busy in your off hours aren't you? congratulations on new family member. It is intersting/ surprising that they keep maiden name. [grin] I have learned alot in one post.

    ReplyDelete