David's Reformed Church Congregation

David's Reformed Church Congregation
Congregation of David's Reformed Church, Montgomery Co, Ohio, Circa, 1900

Monday, December 20, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - December 20 - Religious Services

When I was very young, we attended the United Church of Christ that my maternal great great grandparents had had a large role in creating.  Originally a German Reformed church, it had "converted" to the United Church of Christ some years before I was born.  I think I was probably around 4 years old when I caught on to the fact that when the advent candles were being lit on the altar, it was getting close to Christmas.  I don't recall whether or not Christmas Eve services were ever held there, but there may have been.
When I was 9 years old we began attending the First Baptist Church of Kettering, Ohio.  My memories of my years there are quite vivid and very precious.  We began having candlelight Christmas Eve services at 11:30 at night when I was probably about 10 or 11 years old.  Earlier in the evening, we would spend time with my new sister in law's family and afterwards we would dress up and head to church. 

I still believe there is no better way to spend Christmas Eve than to share a special time of worship, singing praise to Jesus, the reason for the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment