David's Reformed Church Congregation

David's Reformed Church Congregation
Congregation of David's Reformed Church, Montgomery Co, Ohio, Circa, 1900

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday ~ Jacob and Anna Margaret Swadener

For today's Tombstone Tuesday, I am sharing the final resting place of Jacob and Anna Margaret Swadener, the grandparents of Charles E. Swadener, the attorney whose story I shared in an earlier post.  Jacob and Anna are my 3rd great grand uncle and aunt.

Jacob Swadener was born on 27 November, 1786 in Libertytown, Frederick County, Maryland, the son of Henrich (Henry) and Elizabeth Sentsor Schwedner.  By 1840, he was living in Van Buren Township, Montgomery County, Ohio, with his wife, Anna Margaret, and sons William and Michael (M.J.).  His oldest sons, Valentine and Abraham had not come with them.  They may have died in Maryland, but I have found no official records.
Jacob owned his farm in Van Buren Township, where he appeared on the US Census records until 1860.  Anna Margaret died in 1861 and Jacob followed her two years later.

They are buried in David's Cemetery, Kettering, Ohio.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Lori:
    I first found your blog through a link on Ancestry.com. So excited to see that the first post I receive since signing up to your blog, confirms we are related! I suspected it, but couldn't quite figure out how. Since I haven't yet filled in my tree beyond my 3rd great grandmother Elizabeth "Sweadner" Himes' line, I went back to examine other member's info to see if there was a match to your Jacob & Anna. It appears Jacob and Elizabeth are siblings, which of course means we must share 4th great grandparents Henry & Elizabeth. Do I have this right? Thank you for enlightening me on the many variations of the name. Most other trees I've seen spell it "Sweadner". I see your tree has my Elizabeth's name as "Swadner." Surely, the gravestone of Jacob & Anna serves as a clue. Also, I have a different spelling for "Sentsor" which is "Sentzer." I'd like to write to you offline to compare notes; wondering if you know much about the Himes and which of the siblings you're descended from. I've also come across the Routsong name and wonder how it relates to my family. Census records show all these names living in the same neighborhood: Routsong, Sweadner, Himes, and Roop (also in my line). I love the photo of the congregation at the top of your blog. Are there family members in it of yours? mine? Hmmmmmm... Thanks for your informative and rich blog, you're a good writer and detective...I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much and yes, we are related! I would love to share information with you. My great great grandmother, Clarinda Swadner married Henry Routsong and Henry's sister, Caroline married Clarinda's brother, Samuel. You can contact me at this email address lhellmund@live.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

      Delete