David's Reformed Church Congregation

David's Reformed Church Congregation
Congregation of David's Reformed Church, Montgomery Co, Ohio, Circa, 1900

Monday, June 28, 2010

Madness Monday - What Would They Think of Us?


 I'm taking the "Madness Monday"  category in different direction today, discussing not something  that is driving me "mad"  or an ancestor that might have been a little bit "off" in some way, but instead I am thinking today about how my ancestors would feel about ME.  You see, recently I have been wondering if my ancestors would be driven "mad" by the way their descendants are living their lives now.  Obviously, life today is far different than it was during the time of our great great grandparents and even our grandparents.  I often wonder what they would think if they were able to come back and live among us now.  My great grandmother was very young when the first telephones were installed and now every day I "talk" to people all around the world on my computer. What would she say about that?



 Imagine how excited they were at the invention of electricity, indoor plumbing, the radio, movies, and television.  Wouldn't it be wonderful to share all that we have learned?  Obviously, our ancestors would be surprised by all the new technology we live with every day.
But, I don't know if they would be pleased with all the things they would discover in "modern times". 
My ancestors were devout members of the German Reformed, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Baptist, and Quaker faiths.   I think they might be shocked and saddened at quite a lot that they would see right now, and  I would love to hear what they would have to say.
Doubtless, we would have some very interesting discussions!   Wouldn't it be wonderful to talk  with them about their lives and what their hopes, dreams, and disappointments were? Someday, I hope I will be able to do just that.  

I'm very grateful for the firm foundation of faith and family they passed down through the generations to me and I surely hope I am not driving them "mad".

4 comments:

  1. Lori, did you do that beautiful collage? If so, how, how, how? It is just lovely. I think my ancestors would be disgusted with the world today, enough said, but at least we would agree on something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Lori, I wonder how many of them would be surprised at how much "free" time we have these days, and what we chose to do with it. Seems like more people were involved with church and community then than now. Hopefully, none of them would think our genealogy pursuits are foolish!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Barbara - that is a truly beautiful collage, and I'm also curious to know how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think about this too. I think my paternal grandfather would be amazed with computers and the net and would probably jump right in! My paternal grandmother would love the e-mail and keeping in touch with all her relations.

    ReplyDelete