David's Reformed Church Congregation

David's Reformed Church Congregation
Congregation of David's Reformed Church, Montgomery Co, Ohio, Circa, 1900

Monday, January 18, 2010

Madness Monday - McBride Mystery




Margaret E. McBride was born on 4 April, 1871 in Pennsylvania to William M. McBride and Martha A. (maiden name unknown). She married Ralph Elliott Marling on 4 July, 1895 in Columbus, Ohio. She was beautiful. She had two children, Chester Wilson, born on 17 December, 1896 and Gladys Margaret (my maternal grandmother), born 2 December, 1900.
According to the 1880 US Census she was living with her parents and her brother, William, in Steubenville, Ohio. In 1900, she was living in Columbus, Ohio with her husband, son, and her parents.
She died on her birthday, 4 April, 1908. The death record states that the cause of death was heart failure. My grandmother told me that she died in childbirth. She is buried in Greenlawn Cemetery in Columbus, Ohio. She has no gravestone. It breaks my heart and someday, I hope to remedy that situation.
That is all I know of my great grandmother and her parents.
After her death, her parents do not appear on any Ohio census records. Her brother married and according to the 1910 US Census records, he was living in Braddock Borough, Allegheny County, PA with his wife, Frances, and their daughter, Edrice. He was an accounting clerk with the railroad. By 1920, his wife and two daughters were living in Columbus and Frances was a widow. Luckily, the name Edrice McBride was not a common one, and I have been able to discover information about the life of my first cousin twice removed. She married a gentleman by the name of Theodore Byrle Taylor and they had two children, both now deceased. I have been unable to contact any of her grandchildren, although I do know their names. I have photographs (thanks to findagrave.com) of her gravesite and that of her mother, Frances.
I do not know the exact date of William McBride's death, nor do I know where he is buried.
The real frustration comes in finding my great great grandparents, William and Martha McBride. A Martha McBride does appear in the Ohio census after 1900, but it is not "my" Martha. I believe they may have gone back to Pennsylvania with their son, but they did not appear to be living with him. They also may have died before the 1910 census, but I have been unable to discover them in any Ohio death records.
My grandmother knew little about them. She did know she had an "Uncle Bill" who "died young". I don't believe she knew either of her cousins, Edrice or Martha Madeline. Her father, Ralph, having two young children to raise, remarried twice. Neither woman treated my grandmother kindly, but she was quite close to her father. Her father left Columbus to work as a moulder making train wheels in Elkhart, Indiana, so she had little, if any, contact with her mother's family after her death.
Of all the "brick walls" I have run into in the past 6 years, this is the most painful. I haven't given up. I continue to try to contact my distant cousins and hopefully, someday, I will at least know where William and Martha took their final rest.















2 comments:

  1. Good to see that you are not giving up, I am sure you will dig something and get all the answers in the very near future. All the best in your search.By the way, I found the read very interesting, keep it coming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words! I was hoping to give quite a bit of information without being too boring. I'm going to keep on looking!

    ReplyDelete