David's Reformed Church Congregation

David's Reformed Church Congregation
Congregation of David's Reformed Church, Montgomery Co, Ohio, Circa, 1900

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Surname Saturday The Branches of my Tree

The family of John Austin and Margaret Susan Armstrong Marling
(My great great grandparents, my great grandfather, Ralph, is seated, first from left)
6 years ago when I began my research, the only names I knew from my family tree were Shoemaker, Norris, Marling, McBride, Routsong, Huffman, Adams, and Jacks. In the years since, I have added Grimes, Johnson, Flook, Armstrong, Oldham, Bratton, Hoblit, Bennett, Stultz, Suman, Swadner, and Templin. In my husband's family I have learned of Hellmund, Zimmerman, Gregory, Welty, Odle-O'Dell, Cox, Piatt, and Hoerner. I currently have over 6000 names in my family tree program, so there are countless names of other branches off my tree. I have discovered that friends I known for many years are in fact, very distant relatives. It never ceases to amaze and fascinate me how the family trees intertwine in so many different ways and how the paths of migration led families from one location to another. It is one of the reasons why I believe that genealogy is a journey to be taken and savored. If you have never tried to trace your roots, take that first step. You will find it's hard to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment