David's Reformed Church Congregation

David's Reformed Church Congregation
Congregation of David's Reformed Church, Montgomery Co, Ohio, Circa, 1900

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - December 13 - Holiday Travel

Christmas in Sabina
My grandma, my dad, and my aunt

Holiday travel for my family consisted of driving about 40 minutes or so to my aunt's house in Sabina.  It wasn't a long journey, but it was one that I looked forward to every year.  When I was very young, I thought the song "Over the River and Through the Woods" was written about my own grandmother's home since just outside of my hometown, the suburbs quickly became a farm laden countryside. We crossed many a bridge and crossed by quite a bit of wood-covered landscapes.  There was nothing like driving past those old barns and seeing the horses and cows in the pasture on a cold Christmas morning.  We would alternate with my dad's side of the family and if they came to our house on Thanksgiving we would go to theirs on Christmas. The following year, we would switch.  I always knew that when our station wagon pulled up the driveway, there would be loving arms waiting to welcome us in.  It was a wonderful time and we continued the tradition until the family grew too large to accomodate everyone's schedules.  There was nothing like the food, the hugs, the conversation, and the fun that we all had when we were together.  It was truly what Christmas is all about and I miss it very much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment