David's Reformed Church Congregation

David's Reformed Church Congregation
Congregation of David's Reformed Church, Montgomery Co, Ohio, Circa, 1900

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - December 18 - Christmas Stockings

Our Christmas Stockings hang under our baby pictures in our hallway.

                     My son's "official" stockings; these are the ones that we filled.


I have always loved Christmas stockings.  When I was young we hung our stockings on the inside of our front door.  I can recall my brothers receiving things like mouthwash and deodorant in their stockings when they were teenagers.  I don't remember anything specifically that was placed in mine, but I assume it was small candies or jewelry.  After we moved to our new home in 1973, I don't recall the stockings ever being hung again since my brothers were now grown up and I believe my stocking had pretty much fallen apart by that time.  
When my husband and I were first engaged, we found two gigantic stockings while shopping at a mall and we paid extra to have our names placed on the top.  That first year, we challenged each other to buy enough presents to fill the entire stocking for the other.  What fun we had trying to find enough presents to fit into that space!  We still have those stockings 30 years later, although we certainly don't try to fill them anymore!   When our sons were born, my husband's parents bought each of them a special "plush" stocking with the head of a stuffed bear on top of each. Those are their "official" stockings and the ones that were filled each year.   In our hallway, under each of our corresponding baby pictures, we have  special stockings.  Mine is knitted with tiny bears all over it. At the time we purchased it, I was collecting stuffed bears, so it seemed quite appropriate!  My husband's stocking, of course, has a "Cincinnati Bengals" design, while the designs on my son's stockings include Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, Snoopy, and a Teddy Bear.  We added a new stocking last year in honor of our daughter in law and it pictures an angel.  Throughout the years, each of our dog's has always had his or her own stocking as well.  There have been a few years when we may not have filled the stockings, but they always have their own special place in our holiday decorating.  It wouldn't be the same without them!

2 comments:

  1. I really like your idea of the stockings hanging under the baby photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori, It looks quite interesting as well as very much artistic. Thanks a lot for sharing this innovative articulation.

    ReplyDelete