David's Reformed Church Congregation

David's Reformed Church Congregation
Congregation of David's Reformed Church, Montgomery Co, Ohio, Circa, 1900

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Shopping Saturday - HATS!


While browing through old editions of The Portsmouth Daily Times Newspaper, I discovered this advertisement from 1927 from Flora Dellert for hats.  Through my family history research, I discovered there are several ladies in my ancestry with milliner listed as their occupation. My 2nd great Aunt Dessie loved to wear hats and luckily for her, her step-mother was a milliner!
Here she is pictured with what must have been one of her favorites.





I certainly don't think I would ever have wanted to wear a bustle, but I think I would have enjoyed wearing hats like these very much!  Let's go shopping!





3 comments:

  1. I'm with you! Hats need to come back in style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you too young to have worn hats as a child? You probably are. We wore hats and gloves to church and when dressed up for various occasions, just till about 4th grade or so and then they went out of style.

    You look lovely in your hat. Dessie's hat? I'm not so sure.

    My grandmother was also a milliner. She died in her early 20s but I wrote a post for her birthday last year showing hats that were popular about the time she married, in 1911. She was older than your Aunt Dessier and it's interesting to see how the styles changed from 1911 to 1927. I love the old ad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Did you know. in the UK when milliner is given as an occupation in the census it is sometimes a euphemism for "the oldest profession"?

    The lady pictured in my gravatar is actress Isobel Elsom, I think she looks fantasic in her hat. Those were the days!

    Nicola

    ReplyDelete