David's Reformed Church Congregation

David's Reformed Church Congregation
Congregation of David's Reformed Church, Montgomery Co, Ohio, Circa, 1900

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories ~ December 3 ~ Christmas Music

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories ~ December 3

~Christmas Music~

I usually start listening to Christmas music in September. I haven't this year, but my standard policy is that it is never too early for a good Christmas carol.
I can remember the days when it was hard to find Christmas music on the radio except for on Christmas Eve itself. But, thankfully, I think just about every city has a commercial radio station that is playing carols from before Thanksgiving to Christmas Day. (and sometimes the day after!)
Even though there are a few really good new Christmas songs, I prefer those recorded by my favorites; Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Barbra Streisand. The recordings made from the 1940's through the 1960's are my preference, even though I enjoy new performers like Kelly Clarkson and Michael Buble' there is just something missing from today's music.  Maybe it's because memories attach themselves to the music that surrounded them and they are always there when you hear that music again. All I know for sure is that at this time of the year, hearing the mellow tones of Crosby and Sinatra gives me that "Christmas Feeling".
 
 
 
“The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACCM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history twenty-four different ways during December! Learn more at http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com.”
 



3 comments:

  1. Lori, please tell us more about the photo in this blog post! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my singing Bing Crosby doll. They were sold in stores a few years ago. I'm sure you could probably find one on EBAY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Christmas music but I do wait till after Thanksgiving Day. I don't want to get bored with them.

    ReplyDelete