David's Reformed Church Congregation

David's Reformed Church Congregation
Congregation of David's Reformed Church, Montgomery Co, Ohio, Circa, 1900

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories ~ December 6 ~ Santa Claus

 
 
Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories
~ December 6~
Santa Claus 
 
I don't remember ever going to see Santa Claus.  I do remember "hearing" him walking around in the toy department of whatever store I was in and feeling very scared that he might come see me and want to talk to him. Thankfully, he didn't notice me and he went on his "merry" way to greet some other child who was going to be happy with the attention.
When I had my own children I wanted to make sure they had the opportunity to share in the joy of Santa. When my oldest son was born, he was only two months old at his first Christmas, but I was determined that he was going to have his picture taken with Santa. My reasoning was that if he had pictures of himself with Santa, it would be easier to get him to go visit him when he was older. So, off the three of us went to the Dayton Mall for a Santa picture.  Daniel was an angel for the entire time we had to stand in line. He slept. We handed him over to Santa. He slept. He never even opened one eye during his entire visit with Santa.  It made for very cute pictures though!
 
 
The mall was okay for the first couple of years, but I wanted a richer "Santa" experience for my boys.
Thankfully, at the time one of Dayton's department stores held breakfast with Santa every year and on the Saturday after Thanksgiving it became our family tradition to be there. The store's restaurant was small and reservations had to be made, so it was a nice, intimate feeling occasion. Each family was seated at their own table and the breakfast was served by friendly waitresses. After breakfast, some of Santa's helpers arrived and we all did a "countdown" for Santa's arrival. In he would walk with jingle bells ringing and he would visit each and every child!  After his visit, he would head for the "big Santa chair" where he would sit while all the children gathered round and one of his elves would read "Twas the Night Before Christmas".  The best thing about this Santa was that he would also share the true meaning of Christmas with the children. What a joy!
 
Then, the breakfast over, Santa would head downstairs to his "SantaLand" where he would listen to the children's Christmas lists and have pictures taken. I wouldn't trade those years for anything and I will be forever grateful to Elder Beerman's for hosting those precious breakfasts. They no longer hold those events; the store where we went has even been torn down.  I feel very blessed that we were among those families who were able to meet Santa in such a personal way.
 
“The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACCM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history twenty-four different ways during December! Learn more at http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com.”


No comments:

Post a Comment